Joint Services Tax Center offers free services
KADENA AIR BASE, Japan -- The Joint Services Tax Center, located in Bldg. 1460, is scheduled to open at the end of January and remain open until May 15.
The center will operate on a walk-in basis from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. Monday through Friday, and will be able to help all Department of Defense ID card holders file Form 1040s as well as claim taxes on rental properties, home businesses, investments and other sources of income at no charge.
The tax center is open to all active-duty service members, Department of Defense civilians, Status of Forces Agreement contractors and Department of Defense Dependent Schools teachers and their families.
"It's an incredible service that you can receive for free, so it's something you shouldn't miss out on," said Capt. Whitney Howemendoza, 18th Wing Legal Office assistant staff judge advocate. "People don't always enjoy coming to the legal office, but they always enjoy getting their tax returns."
Following the closure of the tax center May 15, tax services will be available by appointment until June 15 at the legal office.
Although military personnel stationed overseas are able to submit their taxes until June 15, any outstanding debts are still due by April 15. Because of this, Kadena personnel are encouraged to visit the tax center as soon as possible.
In order to ensure a smooth visit to the tax center, clients are asked to bring the following documents:
- Military IDs and Social Security cards of taxpayer, spouse, and dependent children
- Legal documents
- Divorce decree or Form 8332 that states entitlement to claim a dependent
- Power of attorney if someone will be signing the return for you or your spouse
- Death certificate if you are filing on behalf of a deceased person
- Voided check for verification of your bank account and routing numbers.
- Child care provider's name, address, tax identification (or Social Security) number, and the amount paid
- Last year's tax return or any other useful documentation
In 2014, the Joint Services Tax Center filed 3,100 tax returns, saving a total of $598,000 in preparation fees and returning $6.3 million in federal and state taxes to Kadena personnel.
For more information, call the legal office at 634-3300.