Warrior Zone grand opening held at Torii Station
TORII STATION, Okinawa -- Single Soldiers who live or work on U.S. Army Garrison Torii Station now have a new place to hang out without ever having to leave the installation. The Morale, Welfare and Recreation Directorate held a grand-opening ceremony March 14 for the "Warrior Zone."
The Warrior Zone is a state-of-the-art facility that offers single Soldiers a place to show off their video game prowess, or just relax and enjoy a movie on a gigantic 80-inch, flat-screen TV.
Sgt. Wyatt Lutz, president of Better Opportunities for Single Soldiers, said a facility like the Warrior Zone is needed to keep Soldiers entertained and safe.
With the military curfew and prohibition of alcohol consumption off the installation, Lutz said Soldiers need a place to gather and socialize where they don't have to worry about making it back to post before midnight.
Lutz said the project has been in the works for 18 months and the Warrior Zone will provide single Soldiers an alternative to going off the installation.
"We knew most Soldiers were staying in their rooms playing video games, so we wanted to give them a place to get together ... to give them a reason to get out of the barracks," Lutz said.
Sgt. Donald Hargrove and Cpl. Jacob Henderson, Soldiers assigned to 10th Regional Support Group on Torii Station, said they love the new facility.
The self-proclaimed "hard-core gamers" could hardly contain their excitement when word of the first video game tournament spread throughout the grand opening activities.
"This facility is excellent!" Hargrove said. "There's not much to do here on Torii and this [facility] gives us something to do -- it gives us a chance to bond and be safe. It will keep us out of trouble."
The event culminated with a "Call of Duty: Black Ops II" video-game tournament.
All Soldiers competing in the tournament brought their best, but the grand prize, an iPad Mini and bragging rights until the next tournament, went to Sgt. Ricky Carter, assigned to 10th RSG.
Features of the Warrior Zone include:
- A large atrium with skylights
- A movie room with 80-inch LED flat screen TV and Bose sound system
- BOSS office with meeting tables, desk, microwave, refrigerator and storage lockers
- Barbecue deck that provides a sunset view of Torii Station and the beach
- High-speed commercial Wi-Fi connection
- Four Xbox gaming consoles stations with four 46-inch LED flat screen TVs
- A Wii gaming console and movie station with a 55-inch LED flat screen
- Pool table with a table tennis top
- 24/7 Soldier access
- Building includes cipher locks and a security camera system