Financial Fraud Scheme
In 2019, the Criminal Investigation Division has conducted multiple investigations regarding fraudulent use of bank account information. Recently, suspects have used duplicated profiles on social media outlets, to entice Service Members by offering “fast cash”.
Victims have been contacted, via Instagram messenger, and asked if they are interested in earning money. Suspects then request the victims personal banking account information with a promise that a large sum of money will be deposited into their banking account. Typically, through Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU).
In all cases, the victims had various sums of money deposited into their bank accounts which was a personal loan taken out in their names. Following they were then requested, or threatened, to withdraw the lump sum or a percentage of the deposit and send it in cash, via the United States Postal Service. Moreover, the aforementioned deposits were over $10,000.
(U) THE CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION DIVISION ADVISES THE FOLLOWING:
- Do not give out your personal financial information to anyone you do not know.
- Do not add or accept friend/follower request from people you don’t know.
- If you, or someone you know was a Victim of a financial fraudulent scheme, you may be liable for all losses or civil acts that may have been committed against you.
- The bank will never contact you to request your secure log in information.
- Solicitation through social media to obtain banking information, to receive “fast cash,” is not to be considered a genuine method for earning wages.
NFCU AND OTHER FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS WILL NOT ISSUE REIMBURSEMENTS TO INDIVIDUALS WHO WERE WILLING TO DISCLOSE THEIR FINANCIAL INFORMATION.
***Call your financial institution immediately to put a hold on your account if you believe fraud has occurred. Navy Federal members can call the 24-hour service line at 1-888-842-6328. ***
Subscribe to our Stripes Pacific newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, cultural information, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!