‘Back-to-school’ savings: Commissaries stock up for sidewalk sales and more in August
FORT LEE, Va. – Commissaries worldwide will kick off Back-to-School sidewalk sales events beginning mid-August and continuing through September, focusing on healthy family breakfasts, fresh-packed school lunches and after-school snacks for children.
This sidewalk sale event will occur in lieu of the Defense Commissary Agency’s Customer Appreciation Case Lot Sale regularly held in September. Patrons can check DeCA’s website for the date and times for their locally held Back-to-School sidewalk sale.
“Our commissaries offer lots of products in all categories that fit into a school kid’s day,” said Tracie Russ, DeCA’s director of sales. “Fresh produce plays a big role in all three meals, as well as lunchmeats and dairy products.”
Russ added that the sidewalk sale may include club pack items, cases of breakfast cereals, bottled water and more. “You may still find local farmers’ markets in the month of August at some of our commissaries,” she said. “Check with your local produce manager to see if they have scheduled anything in your area.”
Throughout the month of August, the agency’s industry partners – vendors, suppliers and brokers – are collaborating with commissaries to offer discounts beyond everyday savings. Patrons are advised to check the “end of the aisle” for themed items with extra low pricing.
Overseas stores may have substitute events for certain promotional programs. Customers should check with their store manager to verify when they will be offering the following sales events:
· Back-to-school sweepstakes. In August, commissaries and exchanges have teamed up worldwide to offer an opportunity to enter to win $100 in commissary or exchange gift cards. Patrons also have an opportunity to win a $50 entertainment/restaurant gift card from the exchanges that can be used at AAFES theatres or exchange food malls. On the commissary’s website, you will also find a useful back-to-school shopping list of items patrons can purchase from the commissary and exchange.
· Box Tops for Education, a General Mills school fundraising program, runs Aug. 6-19 in commissaries worldwide. Each product box top collected is worth 10 cents, and many General Mills items will have double box top value during the month. High-value coupons, in-store product demonstrations and decorative mass displays are also part of the promotion.
· “Make this School Year a Success Story” with Kellogg’s and Scholastic. From Aug. 6 to 19, Kellogg’s is offering discounted prices on their name brand items and free Scholastic books. Kellogg’s covers the back-to-school food categories: ready-to-eat cereals, toaster pastries and cookies. The Kellogg Company will donate 5 cents per package for every Kellogg’s or Keebler product sold and scanned from Aug. 1 to Sept. 15. See details at your local commissary.
· Back-to-school free movie ticket. Customers can earn a free movie ticket by buying seven of the following name brands in one transaction at participating commissaries between Aug. 5 – Sept. 5: Gatorade, Entenmann’s, Oreo, Nabisco, Frito Lay, Planters, Capri Sun, Kraft, Oscar Mayer, Hillshire Farm, Aveeno, Neutrogena, Tylenol, Listerine, Centrum, Tums, Sensodyne, Aquafresh, Biotene, Scott towels and Kleenex. See rules at your local commissary.
· AXE “Back to School” Sweepstakes. From July 16 through Sept. 15, commissary patrons worldwide will have the opportunity to enter to win many prizes, including commissary gift cards, Apple MacBooks, iPads, iPods and Apple Gift Cards. There will more than 90 prizes awarded. Look for AXE shower gel, deodorant and hair care product displays in your local commissary during this promotion period.
· Back to School/Labor Day-free groceries. Kraft Heinz Company will be giving away eight prizes worldwide of $2,500 each in commissary gift cards. The online giveaway will run from Aug. 20 to Sept. 23. No purchase necessary. Check your local commissary for more details.
· Operation Gratitude. For every Mario brand product purchased in commissaries worldwide from Aug. 20 to Sept. 9, one 20g Snack Olive Pouch will be donated to Operation Gratitude for inclusion in an Operation Gratitude Care Package.
· Say “Cheese Please!” From Aug. 20 to Sept. 9, your commissary is offering special savings on Freedom’s Choice cheese: string cheese, cheese sticks, sliced, singles and cream cheese. Your commissary now offers five commissary brand lines: Freedom’s Choice (food products), HomeBase (non-food products), TopCare (healthcare and beauty supplies), TippyToes (baby food and products) and Full Circle Market (natural and organic products). Patrons can access FAQs and the commissary brand web page for more information.
“Your commissary can meet your health and wellness needs,” said Deborah Harris, DeCA dietitian. “We have many nutrient dense, high quality products that can be used to prepare more meals at home, which is key to improving the nutritional quality of your family’s diet. Use your commissary’s Nutrition Guide program, along with our YES! program, sales flyer and our dietitian-approved recipes to meet your needs while making the most of your benefit.”
Subscribe to our Stripes Pacific newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, cultural information, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!