10 semi-ridiculous ways to get more steps in your day
Don’t judge me and my highly competitive personality — but there’s something incredibly satisfying about winning a step challenge against family and friends. I used to be the Queen of Steps until I started working and found myself staring at a computer majority of the day. Even with going to the gym, I was averaging 8,000 steps a day and not coming in first for every “Work Week Hustle.” I said, “no more” and have happily taken back my throne. I couldn’t have done it without finding quirky ways to fit my steps in.
Here are 10 semi-ridiculous ways I found to help me accumulate 10,000 steps a day or more:
1. Brush your teeth around the house. Yeah, I know...kind of odd. Spread that toothpaste on that toothbrush and walk at least 100 steps until you come back to the sink.
2. Pace around while you wait. Oven preheating? Coffee brewing? Waffles cooking? Walk around until it’s ready!
3. Park your car far away. It’s convenient to snag that parking spot right by the entrance, but park in the back to get more steps in.
4. Always take the stairs. See that nice elevator that was made to conveniently take you to your destination? Skip it and climb those flights of stairs.
5. Get up every hour at work. Even if you don’t have anywhere to go – make yourself get up. Walk to the bathroom, water fountain, break room, go outside for fresh air or do something to get away from that desk for a few minutes!
6. Drink more water. Of course, hydration is important and with more water in your system comes more opportunities to get up and take bathroom breaks.
7. Take extra grocery bag trips. I know how satisfying it is to get all of your grocery bags in the door in one round. Opt for lessening the load and make multiple trips from your car to your kitchen.
8. Have a dance party in your living room. Speaking from experience, the easiest way to get steps in a short amount of time is with a quick dance party. Blast your favorite tunes for 10 minutes and dance like no one is watching! Watch that step count rack up!
9. Walk with friends. Skip lunch or coffee and go on a walking date!
10. Check your smartwatch an hour before bed. Still need more steps? Get up off the couch and jog in place. I’m not kidding.
Yes, I am well aware that some of these seem inconvenient. But you know what else is really inconvenient? Losing step challenges.