19 awesome reasons to exercise today
I know it’s summer and you have exciting places to go and things to do. But wait! Did you forget about your workout? Again? Lots of people fall off the exercise wagon during summer months due to vacations, taking care of kids home for the summer months, and other warm weather distractions. I get it, I really do, but what about all the amazing perks that you’re missing out on? Just in case you needed a little reminder that will motivate you to lace those shoes back up and get your workout back on, here are 19 Awesome Reasons to Exercise Today!
- Exercise makes your clothes fit better: Consistent exercise will tone and tighten your body, and this means that your clothes will not only fit better they will also look nicer. But don’t get too attached to your current clothes. Exercise ensures that soon you’ll be trading those current clothes in for smaller sizes…IF you make strategy changes to your nutrition.
- Exercise reduces your stress: Let’s face it, you have enough stress in your life—so take a break. A challenging workout invigorates your muscles and leaves you relaxed and less stressed. But if you exercise too hard, it will compound stress to your system. Do what is appropriate for your current level.
- Exercise boosts your energy: Research routinely concludes that exercise increases energy levels in sedentary people. So when you’re feeling fatigued, fight it with the most powerful tool available: exercise. I know it sounds contradictory. But f you are tired, some appropriate exercise recharges you.
- Exercise makes you stronger: Who doesn’t want to be stronger? You rely on your body’s muscle strength and endurance throughout each day. With consistent, challenging exercise, your body will naturally become stronger. Learn to make bodyweight movements the foundation of your training. Machine training is no good. Shall I repeat? Machine training is no good! Learn to use your bodyweight movements for maximum effectiveness.
- Exercise burns calories: Extra calories end up stored on your body as fat. Fight back by eliminating loads of calories with fat-blasting workouts. Also, a common area many gain too much unnecessary weight is drinking their calories. Frappacinos, sugar or high-fructose laden drinks will pack on the pounds. Learn to change your taste buds by drinking nicely flavored unsweetened teas and definitely water. A great tip for increasing water intake is squirt some zero calorie, unsweetened flavoring in your water. My favorite is MIO. It comes in many different flavors and is DELICIOUS!
- Exercise gives you confidence: Healthy confidence is a wonderful thing to have. By exercising consistently you’re able to increase your natural confidence.
- Exercise can be fun: Don’t laugh. I’m serious on this one. Whether you believe it or not, exercise can be really enjoyable. Remember how fun it was to run and jump as a child? Tap into your inner child as you find enjoyment in moving your body through exercise. The #1 way to boredom is sit in machines and do the same or very similar routine workout after workout. Ho-hum…yawn!
- Exercise reduces your blood pressure: Exercise is so powerful that it has been proven more effective than medication in reducing high blood pressure. A single workout has even been shown to reduce blood pressure for the day, and consistent exercise reduces overall blood pressure.
- Exercise tightens your problem areas: With exercise and quality nutrition you can reduce flab on your arms, legs and waistline. So wave goodbye to the jiggles with a consistent, challenging exercise program.
- Exercise increases your insulin sensitivity: Research continues to prove that exercise dramatically improves insulin sensitivity. Peak after-meal insulin levels have been shown to drop by more than 20 percent after as little as 3 weeks of consistent exercise.
- Exercise improves your sleep: Exercise is your most powerful sleep aid. Tired muscles encourage your body to quickly fall asleep in order to get overnight repair work done. And it encourages deeper sleep. When it comes to sleeping, the earlier you get to sleep before midnight, the better your sleep will be. I personally go to bed at 9 – 930PM and I wake up at 430 – 5AM.
- Exercise lowers your risk of heart disease: Exercise strengthens your heart and protects it against disease. A non-active lifestyle is a huge risk factor for heart disease, so use consistent exercise as your ally aºgainst disease. This is “Deconditioning Syndrome” and has a plethora of negative effects on physical and mental wellness.
- Exercise makes you feel amazing: Challenging exercise releases natural endorphins (happy hormones) into your bloodstream that dissolve pain and anxiety. You’ve probably heard of the ‘runner’s high’, this can be achieved by any great workout.
- Exercise lowers your risk of diabetes: Research has shown that exercising as little as half an hour each day can dramatically reduce your risk of diabetes. If you are at risk of diabetes, or already have diabetes, use regular exercise as treatment for reversing the disease.
- Exercise is an opportunity to meet new people: Gyms, bootcamps, workout centers, walking / climbing / jogging trails are all great places to connect with fun new friends. So lace up and put your self out there!
- Exercise improves your BMI: Maintaining a healthy BMI is key in disease prevention, and exercise is the best way to keep your BMI under control. Metabolic Syndrome is very real and destroys health.
- Exercise increases your endurance: Don’t ever get out of breath from walking up stairs or through the mall again. Your regular exercise builds up endurance for everyday activities. Exercises of the right kind also making getting in and out of chairs, vehicles and on / off the toilet much easier. Appropriate exercise should make these real-life movements easier to perform. And its never too late to exercise. My oldest client is 73 years old and has made tremendous gains in flexibility, strength and movement pattern execution these past two months… and he is just beginning!
- Exercise improves your overall health: Does your doctor give you the lecture about losing weight and exercising more? Once you start exercising regularly, eating right and practicing quality lifestyle habits, you and your MD will see an overall improvement in your health.
- Exercise makes you look amazing: Are you excited about the current shape and size of your body? If not, no worries. Regular, challenging exercise will work wonders on your physique. Within just a few weeks you’ll start to see shape and tone in all the right places. Remember, it should be viewed as a marathon – a life-long habit and process, not a sprint.
I hope it goes without saying that I am your go-to point for all things exercise and nutrition. It’s my passion to see each and every one of my clients reach their fitness goals and improve the quality of their lives. Together let’s turn this summer into your time of transformation. Just think of how amazing you could be looking after working with me! No more excuses this summer. You have 19 great reasons for getting back to your workouts. I’d like nothing more than to see you attain all of the above 19 benefits of exercise! Call or email today – let’s get started!
Lateral Single Leg Ball Wall Squat
The lateral single leg ball wall squat is a great exercise to strengthen each leg individually and the outer hip, or gluteus medius. Begin by positioning the ball at your hip level. Stand so that your body is angled in a straight line with your inside shoulder being closer to the wall than your outside foot. Execute the BBB (breathe, brace, begin). With the torso brace or tensioned and back arched, begin lowering your body as far as you can go. If the foot is behind (as in the illustrations above) this will typically be low enough till the inside knee hits the floor. If your inside leg is out in front of you, you can lower yourself much further. Control the dissent a complete positive the bottom and stand back up. If you cannot do a full range of motion that’s fine. Do what you can but always strive to increase your range of motion. However, never sacrifice form in doing so. Try to do 8 to 10 reps for 2 to 3 sets for each leg. This is a very challenging exercise but it delivers fantastic results.
Motivation vs Habit
I recently heard a quote that’s worth sharing: Motivation is what gets you started, Habit is what keeps you going. This is very true.
When you first start an exercise program you are filled with motivation. It’s what got you into the gym in the first place. It’s what gets you up out of bed and into your workout gear in the morning. But what about when that motivation starts to fade?
This is when habit takes the driver’s seat. Let’s face it, you’re not always going to feel incredibly excited about striving after your fitness goals – so on those days when you aren’t looking at the big picture goal allow habit to direct to.
Put your healthy eating and regular exercise into habit, and results will find you.
Mexican-style cauliflower rice
Most meals are served with some form of carbs – rice, noodles, potatoes or bread. In order to make strides toward your fitness goal, it’s a good idea to eat fewer carbs at dinner. This recipe for cauliflower rice is a great way to still enjoy a side of rice without sacrificing your results by taking in too many calories and carbs.
Here’s what you need:
- 1 head organic cauliflower
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 an onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- dash of salt and pepper
- dash of Tajin or red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh, cilantro, chopped juice from one lime
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease shallow baking pan with olive oil.
- Using a food processor with the grating blade, grate all of the cauliflower. Set aside.
- In a high speed blender, or food processor, blend the tomatoes, onion, garlic, tomato paste, salt, pepper and tajin until smooth.
- Mix the tomato blend evenly into the shredded cauliflower. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes. Stir and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, transfer to serving dish. Mix in the chopped cilantro and drizzle with lime juice. Enjoy!