Commissary savings events kick off this fall
FORT LEE, Va – October is the unofficial start of the holiday season for commissary customers who’ll be seeing store promotions, giveaways and more opportunities for discounts beyond their usual savings of 30 percent or more, said Chris Burns, the Defense Commissary Agency’s director of sales.
"Whether it’s celebrating Oktoberfest with friends or saluting friends and families from afar with a big, plump, roasted turkey, your commissary wants you to know we are here for you with extra savings and grand opportunities to enhance your commissary benefit," said Burns.
Throughout October, DeCA’s industry partners – vendors, suppliers and brokers – are collaborating with commissaries to offer discounts beyond everyday savings. Overseas stores may have substitute events for certain promotional programs. Customers should check with their local commissary for details on dates and times for these promotions:
• Commissary Rewards Card. More than 220 commissaries have deployed the Commissary Rewards Card, and it’s on track to be in all stores by early fall. The card lets authorized shoppers download digital coupons redeemable in commissaries.
• Home for the Holidays Sweepstakes. Dr. Pepper-Snapple is offering a chance for four families overseas to win a round-trip flight to anywhere in the United States, lodging for six days and five nights, and $1,000 cash. Winners will have the opportunity to travel through March 2013. Check your local commissary beginning Oct. 11 for Dr. Pepper/Snapple and Mott’s displays for entry boxes. Customers who register their Commissary Rewards cards by Oct. 24 can also enter the sweepstakes; the entry form appears at the end of the registration process online.
• National Breast Cancer Foundation. On Oct. 14, P & G will be distributing high-value coupons on their name-brand products found in their Brandsaver coupon booklet. For every coupon redeemed, P&G will make a donation to the National Breast Cancer Foundation to assist with early detection.
• Pink for the Cure. From Sept. 27 to Oct. 24, General Mills will show its support for breast cancer awareness with high-value coupons on pink packaging on select General Mills brands.
• Oktoberfest! Continuing through mid-October, commissary customers will find sales and coupons for imported items from Germany and other European countries. A full line of German products will be available: chocolates, cookies, sauerkraut, mustard, red cabbage, pickles, noodles, coffee and more.
• Thanksgiving holiday meal. From Oct. 25, commissary customers will be able to purchase their complete Thanksgiving meal. Shoppers in the Pacific will receive special eight-page coupon fliers valued at more than $32. The booklets will also include preparation tips and holiday recipes. These booklets will be handed out by industry partners inside customized holders. Supplies are limited.