Dunford: No changes to EUCOM accompanied tours
Stars and Stripes | .
published: July 26, 2016
WASHINGTON — U.S. military commanders in Europe are tightening security in the wake of terrorist attacks on the continent but so far see no reason to change rules allowing families to accompany servicemembers on permanent assignments there, the top U.S. officer said Monday.
Gen. Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, made the comments after a string of attacks across Europe, including three since Friday in Germany. The most recent occurred Sunday when a 27-year-old Syrian exploded a device in Ansbach, killing himself and wounding 15 others.
About 7,000 U.S. military, civilian and dependent personnel are stationed in Ansbach and nearby garrisons.
“Based on what we are seeing right now … there’s no discussion or indication that we would have to change our accompanied tours in Europe,” Dunford told reporters Monday at the Pentagon.