Recipe Swap: Halloween special
This recipe is from Kay Blakley. Through Kay’s Kitchen and AFN television spots, she shares her specialized and practical insights.
Happy Halloween Mini Popcorn Balls
• 10 cups popped corn
• 1 (1-pound) bag miniature marshmallows
• 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
• 1 cup diced dried fruit (papaya, mango or peaches)
• 1 cup butterscotch chips
• Orange food coloring
1. Place popcorn, fruit and butterscotch chips in large bowl; set aside.
2. Heat marshmallows and butter in a large saucepan over low heat until melted and smooth. Stir in several drops of food coloring.
3. Pour over popcorn, fruit and candy, tossing to coat evenly. Cool 5 minutes.
4. Grease hands and form into 3-inch balls.
Yields: 16 Balls
Simple Pumpkin Soup
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 1/2 cup very finely minced onion
• 2 cups cooked mashed pumpkin (use canned pumpkin, if desired)
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
• 3 cups chicken broth
• 1/2 cup half-and-half
• Toasted pumpkin seeds for garnish
1. Heat the butter in a large saucepan or soup pot over medium heat.
2. Add the minced onion and cook until tender, but not brown.
3. Stir in the pumpkin, seasonings and chicken broth, stirring until soup is smooth.
4. Stir in the half-and-half and heat, stirring occasionally, until soup is steaming hot. Do Not Boil.
5. Ladle into soup dishes, sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds and serve.
Yields: Serves 4
Do you have a favorite dish or dessert that you’d like to pass to others? If so, throw it our way and we’ll put it in print. Log on to email@example.com. and send your recipe, with ingredients and directions, And if you have a photo, please send that as well.