Surviving WWII sexual slavery victims will receive $90,000
Associated Press | .
published: August 26, 2016
SEOUL, South Korea — Surviving South Korean women who were forced into sexual slavery by Japan's military in World War II will be eligible to receive around 100 million won (about $90,000) each from a foundation that will be funded by the Japanese government.
Seoul's Foreign Ministry said Thursday that the families of deceased victims will be able to receive about 20 million won ($18,000), and added it expects the Japanese government to soon transfer a promised 1 billion yen ($9.9 million) to a foundation formed last month.
South Korea and Japan had agreed to set up the foundation in December as they settled the long dispute over South Korean sex slave victims. Seoul says there are currently 46 surviving South Korean victims and 199 victims who had died.
The opening of the foundation's office in Seoul was met by protests. Many people in South Korea believe the Seoul government settled for far too less in the December settlement.
Under the agreement, which was described by both governments as "irreversible," Japan pledged to fund the foundation to help support the victims.
South Korea, in exchange, vowed to refrain from criticizing Japan over the issue and will try to resolve a Japanese grievance over a statue of a girl representing victims of sexual slavery that sits in front of the Japanese Embassy in downtown Seoul.