2014 Road Tax collections to start May 2

2014 Road Tax collections to start May 2

by 18th Wing Public Affairs
Kadena Air Base

Service members, civilians and other Status of Forces Agreement personnel can pay the annual road tax for their personal vehicles from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. May 19-23 at the Keystone Theater here.

Other tax collection locations, dates and times are as follows:

• Camp Kinser, Surf Side: 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. May 2
• Camp Foster, Theater: 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. May 7-9
• Camp Courtney, Theater: 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. May 12-13
• Camp Hansen, The Palms: 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. May 14
• Camp Schwab, Camp Services: 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. May 15
• Torii Station, Chapel Annex: 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. May 16

Payments must be in Japanese Yen. Checks, credit cards and U.S. currency will not be accepted.

When paying the tax, personnel will be required to have their military registration, 2013 road tax receipt, vehicle title, Japanese Compulsory Insurance and American Insurance. All documents must also be original.

Mini-car and motorcycle taxes must be paid April 1 through May 31 from 8:30 a.m. to noon and 1-5 p.m. to local city, town or village offices. Bring the receipt to the Joint Service Vehicle Registration Office or tax collection site to receive a 2014 road tax sticker.

All vehicles not de-registered before April 1 must pay road tax and display a 2014 road tax sticker before June 1.

For more information, call the Joint Service Vehicle Registration Office at 645-7481 or 645-3963.

What to bring?

Drivers should bring these items when paying road tax on their base:
• Base driver’s license
• Liability insurance
• Japanese Compulsory Insurance (JCI)
• Current base vehicle inspection
• Japanese vehicle title
• Military vehicle registration
• Certificate of title of motor vehicle (DD Form 430)
• Parking certificate, if applicable
A new base decal is issued at the end of the tax-paying procedure when road tax is paid on a U.S. installation. Drivers should be registered with the Defense Biometrics Identification System (DBIDS) to receive their new base decal.

How much?

Road taxes can be determined by the number shown on the top of each vehicle’s license plate, which identifies the vehicle’s engine size.

While anyone can pay road tax for deployed or absent vehicle owners, a power of attorney may be required to obtain a base decal for anyone other than a spouse. For more information, contact your base vehicle registration office.

• Automobile Tax
Road Tax for regular 4-wheel vehicles (Metropolitan/Prefectural Tax) Vehicle plates and taxes
40/400 and 50/500 plates:  7,500 yen
33/300 plates (4.5 liter engines and below):  19,000 yen
33/300 plates (4.6 liter engines and above):  22,000 yen
11/100 plates:  32,000 yen

• Light Motor Vehicle Tax
Road Tax for mini-cars and motorcycles (City/Ward Tax)
Mini-cars:  3,000 yen
Motorcycles up to 125cc:  500 yen
Motorcycles 126cc and above:  1,000 yen

Payments are accepted for mini-cars and motorcycles at Naval Air Facility Atsugi, Yokota Air Base and Camp Zama, but not at Yokosuka Naval Base. Call your base VRO for more information.

Subscribe to our Stripes Pacific newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, cultural information, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!

Follow us on social media!

Facebook: Stars and Stripes Pacific
Flipboard: Stars and Stripes Community Sites

Looking to travel while stationed abroad? Check out our other Pacific community sites!
Stripes Japan
Stripes Korea
Stripes Guam

Recommended Content