Better Than Takeout: Shrimp Fried Rice Recipe
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 large eggs
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1 lb shrimp
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 medium zucchini (sliced)
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- In a medium sized sauce pan, add 1 cup of uncooked long-grain rice and 2 cups of water. Cook according to package instructions.
- While the rice is cooking, crack 2 large eggs in a bowl and season with a little salt and pepper and beat well with a fork. Lightly spray a frying pan that has been heated over medium heat with cooking spray. Add the eggs and cook for about 1 minute. Flip the egg and cook the other side for 1 minute. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Microwave 1 1/2 cup of frozen peas and carrots according to package directions. Set aside when done.
- While the peas and carrots are cooking, quickly peel and devein 1 lb. of raw shrimp. Add 1 tbsp. of sesame oil to a pan and heat over medium heat. Add the shrimp and cook 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp. of sesame oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Then add 1 small, chopped onion. Cook for about 2 minutes. Then add 1 medium sliced zucchini and cook or an additional 2-3 minutes. Add the cooked rice to the pan and let the rice cook for 1 minute.
- Cut the egg into strips and add to the pan of rice. Add the cooked peas and carrots, and the cooke shrimp along with 1/4 cup of low sodium soy sauce. Gently toss the ingredients allowing for the rice to cooke a little on the bottom for an additional minute.
- Serve 1/4th of the fried rice alongside a large piece of your favorite fruit, topped with a little yogurt.
Subscribe to our Stripes Pacific newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, cultural information, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!