Defense Department reviewing security of US installations following two deadly base shootings
WASHINGTON — Military bases across the U.S. are being directed to reassess their security measures following the two deadly shootings last week at Navy installations.
Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Saturday that the Defense Department has “taken precautions” following Friday’s shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola in Florida by ordering bases to review their security measures.
“Yesterday, I directed that we look at our security precautions across the services in all of our installations and bases and facilities to make sure that we get the appropriate degree of security to protect our service members and their families and our communities. And that’s underway,” he said before an audience at the Reagan National Defense Forum in California.
The Defense Department also is re-examining its vetting procedures for all foreign nationals training in the U.S., Esper said. People who come to train are vetted by the State Department, the Department of Homeland Security and the Defense Department, he said.
Read more at: https://www.stripes.com/1.610503
Subscribe to our Stripes Pacific newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, cultural information, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!