How to make move to on-base housing a smooth one

How to make move to on-base housing a smooth one

by Senior Airman Marcus Morris, 18 Wing Public Affairs
Kadena Air Base

KADENA AIR BASE, Japan -- Moving to a new base can sometimes feel overwhelming, especially for accompanied military members; however, your sponsor and the people at the housing office can help make your move a smoother one.

It is a good idea to contact your sponsor or new squadron as soon as you know your arrival day to make reservations for temporary lodging, if you don't you may have to rent an off-base hotel.

Whether or not you stay in on-base family billeting or an off-base hotel, you will continue to receive your authorized housing and food allowance. Additionally, for the first 10 days following your arrival, you'll receive a special allowance, called Temporary Lodging Expense. This special allowance reimburses you for meals and lodging, up to $180 per day, per family. After the 10 days is up, you'll have to pay for billeting/motel out of your pocket (although you'll still be receiving your housing allowance and sustenance allowance).

Government housing is provided to military members and DOD Civilians who meet the appropriate criteria, this includes:
· Members on an accompanied tour with command sponsored dependents authorized to reside with them
· Military-Married-to-Military couples assigned to same or adjacent base and reside jointly
· Designated Key and Essential DOD Civilian with a transportation agreement on an accompanied tour with command sponsored dependent
· Other eligible DOD Civilians on excess inventory basis only

Once you have determined you're eligible for on-base housing you can submit an advance application for assignment (DD Form 1746). Submit the form through the Housing Management Office at your losing installation with a complete copy of your PCS orders. The completed application can be sent via fax, email or can be carried by hand to the housing office.

The effective date of the application is the date you depart your losing installation (including members with TDY enroute) or the date ordered to active duty. If you forgot or waited until you arrived on your next duty station to fill out a DD Form 1746, you can make an appointment with housing and fill it out at the housing office. Getting on the list earlier allows housing to forecast your arrival so they do not exhaust all of the housing.

Once you are on the on-base housing list it can take anywhere from 5 to 20 days to get a house. This is based on availability and is subject to change.

The Department of Defense has over 7,800 on-base Military Family Housing units to support military and civilian personnel and their families assigned to installations here on Okinawa. As of July 1, 2013 all inbound accompanied military personnel will be required to reside on-base if adequate MFH units are available. This will stay in effect until 98 percent occupancy is met for each entitlement category at both the member's primary and secondary installations. If that quota is filled off-base housing will be offered to the personnel.

If available, accompanied personnel will be shown two homes which will be as near as possible to their work installation. Once offers have been made personnel may check-out the keys and have 24-hours to accept or decline the home.

"Getting a house is a unique experience for each person," said Sherri Green, 718th Civil Engineer Squadron chief of housing management. "(Sponsors) please help your newcomers out and call ahead to schedule TLA arrangements and initial housing briefs."

For more information, visit or call 634-0582.

Subscribe to our Stripes Pacific newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, cultural information, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!

Follow us on social media!

Facebook: Stars and Stripes Pacific
Flipboard: Stars and Stripes Community Sites

Looking to travel while stationed abroad? Check out our other Pacific community sites!
Stripes Japan
Stripes Korea
Stripes Guam

Recommended Content