Quick & easy breakfast
With school back in session, you don’t have as much time in the morning. Don’t let that stop you from being the coolest parents on the block. Here’s a 20-minute hot cakes recipe that’ll make you the envy of all your kids’ friends.
• 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/3 cup sugar
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
• 2 large eggs
• 5 tablespoons corn oil, plus more if needed
• Unsalted butter and honey for serving
1. Stir together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl.
2. Add buttermilk, eggs, and 4 tablespoons oil; whisk until smooth.
3. Heat remaining tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot.
4. Working in batches, pour 1/3 cup batter per cake into skillet. Cook, turning once, until golden brown and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side.
5. Add more oil to the pan as necessary, and reduce heat, if sides brown too quickly.
6. Serve immediately with butter and honey.
Yields: 10 small hot cakes
Subscribe to our Stripes Pacific newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, cultural information, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!