USO Staff Highlight: Amber Craig
Name: Amber Craig
Position: Field Program Coordinator
Time worked at USO: Since July 24, 2017 – Present
Location: Camp Foster, Building 5710, Okinawa Area Office
1. Why do you love working at the USO?
- I love working for the USO because I am given the opportunity to give back and make a difference in the military community. Working for USO Okinawa has been one of the most rewarding experiences. I have made lifelong friends and have an incredible work family here. The staff and service members really make it feel like a home away from home.
2. What is your favorite memory of working at the USO?
- My favorite memory working at USO Okinawa thus far is my first experience at the 2018 Service Salute. It was my first big program. After many hours of planning and coordination, the event comes together in the most perfect way. I remember thinking to myself during the event how amazing it was to see all the service members congratulating and celebrating the seven nominated service members. It really put into perspective the term family in the military.
3. WHICH PROGRAM DO YOU WANT TO FEATURE FROM YOUR TIME AT USO?
- I would say the Service Salute events. Many people have asked me what the event is all about and why we have it. Service Salute is a black-tie event held to honor seven outstanding junior service members on the island. The seven service men and women of the U.S. Armed Forces and Japan Self-Defense Forces are nominated for their outstanding professionalism, leadership, service to country, and embodiment of the USO’s 8 core values.
Subscribe to our Stripes Pacific newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, cultural information, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!