Lessons your children learn from traveling
- They learn to be humble and appreciate what they have. If you’re traveling to a third world country or even a country that is less fortunate than the one you live in, children will learn to appreciate their off-brand cell phone when they see other kids their age without any phones or devices.
- They are cultured and experience new cultures other than their own. By the time your children are of age where they will be off in the “real world,” they will be able to tell their peers and colleagues about different countries and their customs. They may even adopt a custom that they resonate with.
- They can see the world from different perspectives. Often times, we tend to only see our side when it comes to having discussions and/or debates. However, traveling will teach your kids that although it is ok to have your own opinion, they should see the other side of the argument. For example, I feel a bit inconvenienced when shops and restaurants are closed in certain European countries. On the other hand, I always think of the workers’ perspectives and whether it be because of the hot weather or the fact that a better work-life balance is needed, I see the need for these closures.
- Their confidence is higher. Have your kiddos order from the menu in Spanish if you find yourselves in Spain, especially if they’ve taken Spanish in high school. After all, immersing yourself is the best way to learn!
- They learn more about themselves. This is especially true if your children are older. If you’re all on a family vacation, perhaps they’ll be able to tell you their preferences of what a perfect vacation to them would look like. Would they prefer a city trip, or would they rather lay on the beach? The only way to find out is by traveling and learning about what you like or don’t like!
- They learn to try new things and be more open. A simple example of this would be food. Perhaps there is a specialty belonging to the country you’re visiting. If you have a picky eater, encourage them to try new things!
- They can engage in a world other than their own. You know those people that only want to venture out to their local grocery store and not even try to explore the newest one a couple of towns away. Don’t let your children be like that! Seeing the world will break them free of wanting to stay inside their own bubble and get them to explore the world around them.
- They can unplug from technology and learn to relax and be ... kids! One of the saddest things to see is when a family is out to eat, and all you see is their heads bowed down because everyone is attached to their devices. Traveling will get your kids to put the phone down and live life! No one will be looking at their phone if they have the view of gorgeous Santorini as the backdrop! Traveling will also be good conversation starters with your family, so everyone can be engaged in talking about their favorite part of holiday!
Subscribe to our Stripes Pacific newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, cultural information, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!