Soak up the sun: Okinawa's beaches set to open soon
When March rolls around in Okinawa, beach season will be right around the corner.
It’s time to go surfside and celebrate the beach openings.
Some are resort-oriented while others offer a quiet environment to enjoy nature. You may say this subtropical island has several beaches open throughout the year. However, who would not want to celebrate the return of beach party fun to the island?
Let’s check out the best spring break beaches that Okinawa has to offer.
1. ANA Intercontinental Manza Beach Resort:
March 4: Home to water activities such as ocean park (water obstacles), sea kayaking, jet skiing, and more.
March 22: Water obstacles can be used for free on this day.
- Parking fee costs: 1,500 yen (Free parking offered until Mar. 22)
- Open: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. (Subject to change) n Tel: 098-966-1211
- Website: https://www.anaintercontinental-manza.jp/en/
- GPS Coordinates: N 26.508345, E 127.856803; 40 minute drive from Camp Foster.
2. Sheraton Okinawa Sunmarina Resort:
March 17: Open throughout the year. A ceremony will be held on March 17 to pray for safety. Water activities such as banana boating, snorkeling tour, zip lining are available.
- Parking fee costs: 500 yen per hour (2,000 yen at most between 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.)
- Open: 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. n Tel: 098-965-2222
- Website: https://sheraton-okinawa.co.jp/en/
- GPS Coordinates: N 26.462274, E 127.811721; 40 minute drive from Camp Foster.
3. Kariyushi Beach:
March 4: Water Land (obstacle courses) will be open on the same day. This beach is home to other activities such as parasailing, sea kayaking, jet-skiing, boat tubing and more.
- Admission fee costs: 550 yen for 13 years old and above, 330 for ages 4 -12, free admission for 3 years old and below.
- Parking fee costs: Free parking available at Okinawa Beach Resort Ocean Spa. Visitors need to inform at the location that they’ve come for the beach.
- Open: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. (subject to change)
- Tel: 098-052-4093
- Website: http://www.kariyushi-beach.co.jp/
- GPS Coordinates: N 26.531873, E 127.930195; One hour drive from Camp Foster
4. Kanucha Beach:
March 29: Water activities such as obstacles courses, parasailing, and flyboard are available.
- Admission fee costs: 1,500 yen for 12 years old and above, 500 yen for children (ages 5-11), free admission for 4 years old and below
- Parking fee costs: Included in admission fee
- Tel: 0980-55-8880
- Website: https://www.kanucha.jp/en/
- GPS Coordinates: N 26.546250, E 128.077198; 20 minute drive from Camp Schwab
5. Zanpa Beach:
April 1: Home to water activities such as banana boat, parasailing, flyboard and more. Discount for marine activities is scheduled to be offered on April 5.
- Parking fee costs: Free
- Open: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m
- Tel: 098-958-5000 (for info on water activities)
- Website: https://www.daiwaresort.jp/global/okinawa/feature/1024857/index.html (water activities)
- GPS Coordinates: N 26.435686, E 127.715952;15 minute drive from Torii station.
6. Sunset Beach:
April 10: A beach adjacent to American village. A popular spot for families and couples. This is also a good place to hold a beachside BBQ party under tent.
- Parking fee costs: Free
- Open: 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. (Subject to change)
- Tel: 098-936-8273
- Website: http://www.uminikansya.com/
- GPS Coordinates: N 26.314209, E 127.755104; 10 minute drive from Camp Foster and Kadena Air Base.
7. Ikei Beach:
March 29: A popular beach on Ikei island. Water activities such as fly board, banana boat, and boat tubing are available. This beach is open throughout the year. There will be ceremony on March 29 to celebrate the beach season’s arrival.
- Admission fee costs: 400 yen for adult (middle school student and above), 300 yen for ages between elementary school student and 5 years. Free for 4 years old and below
- Open: 10 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Website: http://www.ikei-beach.com/
- GPS Coordinates: N 26.388176, E 127.991146; 30 minute drive from White Beach.
8. Emerald Beach:
April 1: Adjacent to Expo Park, this beach dazzles visitors with its emerald green and cobalt blue.
- Parking fee costs: Free
- Open: 8:30 a.m. - 7 p.m. (Apr. - Spt.), - 5:30 p.m. (Oct.)
- Tel: 0980-48-2741
- Website: http://oki-park.jp/kaiyohaku/en/inst/75
- GPS Coordinates: N 26.698680, E 127.877759; 90 minute drive from Camp Foster.
9. Chura-Sun Beach:
April 5: A resort beach home to many events and concerts. Water activities such as sea kayak, banana boat, and boat tube are available. There will be a beach opening ceremony on April 5 with entertainment such as Eisa dance performance.
- Parking fee costs: - 500 yen
- Open: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. (- 7 p.m. for July and Aug.)
- Tel: 098-850-1139
- Website: https://churasun-beach.com/?page_id=44
- GPS Coordinates: N 26.157011, E 127.647582; 40 minute drive from Camp Foster. Close to Naha Air Port.
10. Tropical Beach:
Late April: Resort beach near MCAS Futenma and a good spot to have a beach BBQ party at. Water activities such as boat tube and banana boat are available.
- Parking fee costs: Free
- Open: 9 a.m. - 7 p.m. (Subject to change)
- Tel: 090-4471-0581
- Website: http://www.ginowantropicalbeach.jp/
- GPS Coordinates: N 26.281693, E 127.731746; 10 minute drive from MCAS Futenma.
11. Uppama Beach UPPAMA Beach:
March 29 (Subject to change): Beautiful beach on Nakijin peninsula. Water activities such as jet ski, sea kayak and boat tube are available.
- FACILITY USAGE fee costs: 300 yen
- Parking fee costs: 500 yen
- Open: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Tel: 098-056-2767 (hotel)
- Website: https://www.belparaiso.com/lang/english.html
- GPS Coordinates: N 26.691507, E 127.992152; 90 minute drive from Camp Foster.
12. Sesoko Beach:
TBD: A popular beach on Motobu peninsula. This beach boasts of beautiful views of Ie Island and Motobu Peninsula.
- Admission fee costs: Free
- Parking fee costs: 1,000 yen
- Open: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. (- 5:30 p.m. for July through Sept.)
- Tel: 098-047-7000
- Website: http://www.sesokobeach.jp/
- GPS Coordinates: N 26.650026, E 127.856139; 90 minute drive from Camp Foster.
A quick getaway to Torii Beach
Although Torii Station may not stand out when comes to its size and the number of servicemembers it hosts, the small Army base is home to a beachside recreational area that will leave a big smile on your face: Torii Beach.
Whether you’re a family looking to play in the water and picnic, or a group of friends in the mood to camp, play a little volleyball and unwind, Torii Beach is the perfect location.
Located in the west part of the installation, beach access from Torii’s main gate is very simple. All you need to do is go straight down the hill, make a left at the end, and you should be close to the beach’s entrance in less than five minutes. Passing by sugarcane fields, the ocean blue and white beaches come into sight. It’s beautiful and peaceful, the perfect place to get away from the daily grind. And, yes, if you can’t go without your mobile devices, WiFi is available.
Lining up along the long stretch of white sand are cabins, a campground, pavilions, a water slide fit for kids of all ages and shower and bathroom facilities. MWR Torii has you covered with any camping, grilling and water sport gear rentals, so it is the perfect place for beach parties with family and friends, or unit parties.
Although events like the Torii Beach Summer Party Series and Ghost on the Beach can draw a big crowd, this secluded location always gives off a relaxed vibe. It’s a great place to run along the shore, read a book or sit alone enjoying the peaceful view.
Just a 20-30-minute drive away from Gate 1 of Kadena Air Base, Torii Beach offers a quick getaway from the ordinary.
Note: Facilities and equipment available for use include cabins (up to 6 people), pavilions, camp sites, bonfire pit, inflatable bouncers, ocean kayaks, grills, surfboard and more.
For more Info: torii.armymwr.com/programs/torii-beach
Replenish and rejuvenate at White Beach
White Beach Naval Facility is not just for ships making port calls to replenish their food supply and load up troops. The U.S. base is also a great place for servicemembers and families to enjoy some recreation and rejuvenation on Okinawa.
Located around the tip of Katsuren Peninsula, White Beach features fully-furnished log cabins located on a bluff in the middle of the facility. The view is beautiful and the cabins are only a short walk to the beach. Camping trailers and tent sites located next to the beach are also available for rent. Pet lovers, there are designated “pet friendly” cabins and campers available.
As you walk around this sprawling facility, the beauty of the ocean and tiny islets sprinkled off the coast draw your attention. The clean, white sandy beaches are perfect for tossing frisbees with friends, building sand castles with your kids or taking a jog.
You’ll also notice local tombs spread along the coastline of the facility. Be respectful. And you may have the opportunity to come across some curious creatures because nature is well preserved on White Beach.
For those of you looking to break a sweat, basketball and tennis courts, a softball field are available.
When you get hungry or need a break from the strong sunshine, take refuge at Port of Call Club. Having a fresh sandwich at Subway or spicy wings at Wingz@Beach are quick solutions for those who don’t feel like grilling at their campsites.
For those who run out of snacks and drinks can count on Skoshi Mart for a quick replenishment. Plus, there are lounge chairs, game rooms with slot machines, pool tables and computer access when you need a timeout from camping.
There are places outside the gates of White Beach that people should also check out. There is a paintball facility about a 10-minute drive from the gate, as well as notable historic sites like the remains of a sugar factory located a minute away.
Located in a secluded area, is the perfect getaway for families and groups of friends. So take in the scenery, take advantage of the recreational facilities and rejuvenate a White Beach.
Hours (Reservations Desk): Mon. - Fri. : 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Facebook (Navy MWR, Okinawa): www.facebook.com/NavyMWROkinawa/
For more Info: www.navymwrokinawa.com/programs/f9ab0b40-8bb3-4bcb-a21c-4b73b4755ea2
Subscribe to our Stripes Pacific newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, cultural information, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!